Saturday, September 13, 2014

These are my own thoughts on the books of Luke and Acts. This essay is not scholarly or rigorous. Rather, I have attempted to allow the Holy Spirit to show me the application of these Scriptures to our lives, understanding what Jesus meant, in the context of both the immediate circumstances, and in the greater context of the Bible. As such, I have tried to compare passages to parallel sections in the New Testament, to derive some insight from similarities or differences in context. And I have tried to identify Old Testament passages that seem relevant, primarily because Jesus lived in a culture dominated by multiple historical antecedents, but the principle religious context was the Old Testament. I cannot claim that I have studied either the impact of Roman culture on Judea in Jesus' day, nor have I any great insight into the effect of the Greek culture that was imported in the days of Alexander the Great. The apocryphal books record many things that happened, primarily in the era when Antiochus Epiphanies ruled Judea, and I certain am not an expert on those. But Jesus drew primarily on the Old Testament - the Law, the Psalms, and the Prophets. God's revelation to Israel, which formed the basis for Jesus' revelation of God to the whole world.

No comments:

Post a Comment